Monday, October 26, 2015

Maximum number of Tables in a SQL Database

Recently somebody asked this question on Stackoverflow forums “How many tables we can create on a SQL Server database”.  And I thought I should write about it on my blog.   Though for normal SQL programmers this shouldn’t matter and mostly some weird people ask this question in interviews, and I don’t know why. 

Anyways, since we are talking about it let me answer this question.  Actually in SQL Server, Microsoft has not defined any limit on number of tables but there is a limit on the number of Objects in a database. 

According to Maximum Capacity Specifications for SQL Server Tables per database are limited by number of objects in a database.  Database objects include objects such as tables, views, stored procedures, user-defined functions, triggers, rules, defaults, and constraints. The sum of the number of all objects in a database cannot exceed 2,147,483,647.

So if there are NO other objects created in a database you can create 2,147,483,647 number of tables in SQL Server database.

And if I’m I’m right then I guess this limit is pretty much constant since SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2014.

To know more about the maximum sizes and numbers of various objects defined in SQL Server components you can check out: Maximum Capacity Specifications for SQL Server

Thanks
Mangal Pardeshi

No comments:

Post a Comment